CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Independence Day

For the 4th of July we decided to go with my parents to Blanding to visit my brother and his family. We left Thursday evening around 5:00. Friday morning we had pancakes with ice cream, strawberries and blueberry syrup. They were so yummy.

We went to the parade. I was surprised at what a good parade it was. Hayden thought it was great, too, because of all the candy that was thrown. We had a great spot to watch parade from. Ashlie’s sisters own the theatre so we sat in front of the theatre and had free use of the bathroom (that is always a bonus for a pregnant woman).



Callie, Lindzie and their cousins on the float for the theatre.

Ashlie, Hayden, and Jake (neighbor) sharing candy.

Ashlie and Hayden eating more candy.
Joe and Hayden playing with a red star necklace.

Awesome float!

We had a barbeque at my brother’s house with Ashlie’s family. My favorite part was the delicious Dutch oven potatoes. Hayden's favorite part was the root beer and playing in the bin of drinks.

I promise it is just ROOT beer!

Hayden in staying cool in the bin of drinks and ice.

Playing in the pool.

While the kids were waiting for lunch they played in the yard. Allen filled up the kiddie pool but after a while they were tired of that and they began playing in the mud. After Hayden’s nap I decided to let Hayden join the fun. To my delight he didn’t like it so I didn’t have to clean him up covered in all that mud. The other kids looked like swamp monsters.

Callie, Avery, Lindzie, Whitnie, Hope, Preston. (Callie and Lindzie are my nieces)

Who needs a slip and slide when you have a mud hill?

My brother loves motorcycles. He has a sweet street bike and a great dirt bike. He kept asking Joe if he wanted to take it for a ride. Joe has declined multiple times. I’m not sure what changed but Joe decided to try it out. Allen gave him some tips and then Joe got on and attempted to ride. He killed it immediately and so Allen restarted it. He made it all the way down the street and back. I’m not quite sure what happened next but Joe was coming straight towards me so I jumped out of the way. He skidded along the drive way and came to a stop when he ran into the corner of the house, dumped the bike and hit his head on the brick. (No, he was not wearing a helmet.) Thankfully he was ok. He had an abrasion on the top of his head, a skinned knee, and tore of a chunk of skin on his wrists. At least there were no broken bones or gapping wounds.

Ouch! That hurt!

Good sport, sore knee!

Hayden was so tired I put him to bed before fireworks started. Callie is afraid of fireworks so we decided to stay home to watch the fireworks. We had a good view of the city’s firework show. I was very impressed with the fireworks. I was not expecting such a great show from small town Blanding.

It was so fun to spend the holiday with my family.

7 comments:

Sarah S said...

that mud hill is SO funny!! though I wouldn't have enjoyed watching Eli get that messy either - so good for Hayden :)

Michelle... said...

Wow, that is some mud hill. Matt would totally have encouraged James to join the fun. I don't think he'd like it though. Poor Joe. I guess if you're going to crash, make it a good one.

Joe said...

The pictures make the crash look much funnier than it really was.

That picture of Hayden drinking the root beer is my favorite picture of him, all time.

Julie Baldwin said...

What is it with boys and their inability to ride motorcycles? At least Joe didn't total the bike. Devin road his brother's bullet bike and let's just say the bike has never been ridden again. I'm SO glad Devin was ok after that wreck. I hope Joe is doing ok. He doesn't look too banged up.

Texas Tingey said...

*sigh* I am so glad you had fun. Gotta love Blanding (and Blandingites).

Krazy Khania said...

I love Hayden in the drink tub! Oh that mud hill is so awesome!! I would have loved that as a kid!
And Joe on the bike is hilarious. Isaac would never let me blog something like that.

Sarah Garner said...

Sorry Joe,

Every good wife MUST take advantage of such a perfect photo opportunity!

Sounds like a great 4th. Yay for mud and yay for icecream for breakfast!!!