CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 8, 2008

"Not I," said the Duck


...When the wheat was threshed, the Little Red Hen said, "Who will take this wheat to the mill?"
"Not I," said the Duck.
"Not I," said the Cat.
"Not I," said the Dog.
"Then I will," said the Little Red Hen. And she did.

She took the wheat to the mill and had it ground into flour. Then she said, "Who will make this flour into bread?"
"Not I," said the Duck.
"Not I," said the Cat.
"Not I," said the Dog.
"Then I will," said the Little Red Hen. And she did.

She made and baked the bread. Then she said, "Who will eat this bread?"
"Oh! I will," said the Duck.
"And I will," said the Cat.
"And I will," said the Dog.
"No, No!" said the Little Red Hen. "I will do that." And she did.



I enjoy making homemade bread. When I got married I wanted to have a food storage shower. I didn't get one but my mother-in-law gave me the best gift. She gave me a huge bin of wheat. I've been wanting to grind it and make wheat bread. My friend let me borrow her wheat grinder and I made bread. It was so delicious.

My dad loves homemade bread so I told him it was for sale: $1 a slice or $8 a loaf. He shared some with me and bought the rest of the loaf for $5. I'm a good sales person. Or maybe he is a good haggler.

6 comments:

Michelle... said...

This is one of my favorite stories! My mom would pull the "Red Hen" syndrome now and then when we were kids.

mylittlegems said...

I love that story- and I'm impressed w/ the bread. I use the breadmaker to make bread- but usually I just buy it...my mom always made it though. It looks yummy!.
0

Crystal said...

So can I use the picture and recipe on my blog? I'm too scared to try anything out of the breadmaker. It looks delicious!

Young Family said...

Oh, this is not from a bread maker.

Erica said...

So where is the recipe to accompany your yummy looking bread. I haven't ever attempted a loaf yet just rolls. But that's good, I just might have to give it a try.

I'm not sure if I've responded to one of the comments you left on my blog one time. If I haven't, this is my response: wink, wink ;)

kenders said...

I LOVE homemade bread!!! And I agree can you please post the recipe? :)