OK, I need to get on my soap box for a minute. I have decided that three hours is not too long for people to go without food. I do not take food for Hayden during church. We currently have 11:00 church. e eats breakfast at the normal time and I give him a sack around 10:30 before we leave. I have found that the only hard part of this is that Hayden is on a "seefood" diet. If he sees food he thinks he needs it.
But here is my big issue. Yesterday at church I was trying to help Hayden to be reverent during he sacrament. Then I heard a bag open. I looked over and a family had just passed out bags of Cheetos to their children (11 & 8) and cousins (5 & 2). I was appalled. Cheetos! For crying out loud, couldn't they bring something not so mess? Right after the sacrament was finished a lady opened a Tupperware and passed out sandwiches to her children, fed some to her baby and ate some herself. There is another person in the ward who puts her baby in the car seat, puts the bib on the baby and pulls out the jar of baby food an feeds her baby. I heard the lady in front of me get mad at her husband because he didn't bring their children (6 & 4) their lunches.
It isn't a picnic people! If you must feed them leave the chapel so those of us who are trying to teach our children to be reverent don't have quite as many obstacles. I know I could keep Hayden quite if I kept shoving food in his mouth but he wouldn't be learning how to behave at church.
I wish I was moving to Cleveland with my sister. The ward they will be in has a sign outside the chapel that says "No Food or Drink Allowed in the Chapel." This would make life so much easier for me.
Monday, May 5, 2008
Rant and Rave
Posted by Young Family at 12:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I agree 150%!!! We had a family in front of us do that and our youngest started yelling- "Cheetos! I need Cheetos!" That helps invite the Spirit!
Come on! I have to eat every couple hours and I can still make it through without breaking out a picnic in the chapel. And if I can't make it through, I excuse myself and discreetly eat a granola bar OUTSIDE. (Or I sneak home during Sunday School for lunch. Well, until I got a SS calling- so much for sneaking home).
Anyway, rant away. I'm with ya girl!
-The Monkey Momma
(do you know who I am? hint- we're related and I linked to your blog from your sisters blogs)
Love ya Jess!
Interesting ... I'm not a Cheetos mom, but I am guilty of bringing quieter, cleaner food - more to keep Miss Dub's mouth full and quiet, not necessarily to nourish her. But it is a long stretch for everyone - myself included. I like the idea of no food in meetings, though the foyer is fair game. We'll see how we manage this Sunday.
I never really had an issue with small snacks, but then again we only have a couple tiny kids in our ward. I'm surprised that they would pull out Cheetos and actual sandwiches!
I've never heard of the no food or drink sign though...that's interesting.
I can see how frustrating that would be with keeping Hayden reverent. I would probably be annoyed too. :)
I never got food during church when I was a child besides when my sunday school teacher would bribe us to listen and be quiet with chocolate. I can't remember if it was you or someone else who thought they saw a skittle under the bench in front of them so they reached their foot forward to drag it back to them, but it ended up being a cheeto and it just got smoonched into the carpet. I thought it was you.
Bravo Jessica!!
I hope it sounds loud enough that it can be heard all the way to the chapel. Remember the scripture "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it". Proverbs 22:6
It is no longer just the babies that are bringing their bottle to church. I have seen many adults walk in with their water bottles and start sipping shortly after the opening prayer. What will we see next? Vending machines in the foyer!
I agree completely!!!!!!!!!!!! Though I pack a ziplock bag of Runts for Devin each Sunday so he has something to sack on so he can stay awake. Though I think he is very sneaky so other people don't know he has them.
I totally agree! The chapel is a special place and if we are trying to teach our children or possibly new converts how to behave there we will have to be examples. I can't believe Cheetos were opened!! In all honesty when Grant was small we gave him food in the chapel but after seeing such disrespect by others I've changed my mind and we now don't have any food except granola bars in the car on the way home. I do think pregnant & nursing mommies need to eat but not in the chapel.
Post a Comment