CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Sippy Cup

11/18/09

**Warning: possibly TMI for some***
I have struggled with Parker nursing since he was five months old (although he never was fabulous to begin with). He never would nurse very long and we were often worried about his weight. I started losing my milk at one point but found some herbs that got us back on track. When I started teaching again I refused to give him a bottle since we had worked so hard to keep him nursing. He was so close to a year old I didn't want him to start having a bottle. I decided we would really encourage the sippy cup while I was at school and I would nurse him in the mornings and evenings. This worked really well.
The Friday of my first week I came home and Parker had four new teeth. he bit me so hard the next day I was bleeding. Every time he would nurse I would bleed. A few days later he bit the other side. That was the end of nursing! I think it is funny after working so hard to keep him nursing we had such an abrupt ending. (Although it wasn't really funny it hurt like heck!)
He finished up the breast milk from the freezer and is now on whole milk from a sippy cup and he does great.

4 comments:

Kami said...

I only nursed for a few months with mine, but I remember thinking that as soon as that first tooth came in they would be done. It never got to that, but that was my worst fear...being bit! Ouch! That's awesome that he went right to the sippy cup and you didn't have to worry about bottles!

Erin said...

I thought I would be sad to stop nursing Tyler, but the freedom was fantastic! They sure have a strong bite.

Brynnly and Alan said...

Are you trying to freak me out more out of breast feeding? Haha! Sounds so painful!

Miss Kris said...

I'm glad Parker is doing well with the sippy cup. That biting is honestly the most painful thing. My oldest bit me a couple times before he got teeth, and I thought that was bad! Then he bit me once when his teeth were in, and it was ten times worse. Congrats on being done with nursing!