CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I'm Eating My Words

Leashes are for dogs not for children. I think it is so degrading to put a leash on a child. That said, it is time for me to eat my words. The hardest think for me since Parker was born is getting the two boys out of the car and into where ever we are going. Hayden will not stand by me while I get the baby out of the car. I can't hold the car seat and get Hayden out with one hand. It is hard to carry both children.

As soon as I let go of Hayden he starts running. Today on our way to the car after music class Hayden was running down the sidewalk to the car. He would not stop when we got to the car. I yelled at him to stop but he just kept running straight towards a very busy street. It scared me and I quickly just left the car seat on the sidewalk and took off running after Hayden.

When I told my mom what happened she told me again to get a leash. She said maybe he will hate it and will decide to stay by me. I decided that I would rather have my little boy safe. Hayden is now the proud owner of the puppy backpack harness seen below.

10 comments:

Christian said...

Ain't parenthood fun! How many "I would never do that's" have I violated?!?!? :)

The Monkey Mama said...

So so true... all the things we said we'd never do...

I always put Monkey #2 in the umbrella stroller when he was in his running phase, but I guess that's kind of hard to do when you're also carrying the baby carrier. :)
I hope the leash works well for you. Hmmm... maybe this is part of the reason that I didn't venture out of the house with two kids until, like, last week. OK- it was sooner than that, but I'm seriously not admitting to anyone how long I kept us hunkered down in our house wearing pajamas all day every day....

Erin and Ryan said...

BAAAHA! We've had this conversation before, I recall. Sydney already has a monkey backpack but she has yet to wear it because I only have her thus far. The moms that I've talked to about "leashes" say that their kids like the ones with the animals on them and they call them their backpacks. It makes them feel sort of like a big kid carrying a few of their own items in their cute stuffed-animal backpack...they seem to forget that there is a long tail connected that mom or dad is holding on to. I agree that theu old leash-harness things were strange. I remember asking my mom when I was younger why kids were on leashes...now as a mom I see that sometimes children need to be bound to you. Better a little embarrassment than losing a child.

Sarah M said...

I agree that it is one of those things that I wouldn't want to do, but safety totally comes first. A backpack/leash is so much better than any form of injury--plus it teaches them to stay put!!

Brittany said...

hahaha! This post was so funny! I said the exact same thing before I had kids! And then I ended up buying some dumb elmo leash! Now they have cuter ones at least!

Candi said...

Good choice!!!

Tiana said...

I know I hear ya on this i think Tripp will soon be sporting a bear back pack also! Where did you get it at? How is the new baby doing and how r u feeling?

Michelle... said...

Good plan - he'll hate it, but at least he'll be close. Maybe he'll learn to stay by you.

Carrie said...

When I was pregnant with Anna, I would constantly pray that Emma would make it across the parking lot safe. I would put her down and she would take off, I totally understand.

Jodi said...

You done good Mama.