Hayden has only had a binky at night/nap time and during Sacrament meeting for about six months. I have been afraid that the longer he keeps it the more attached to it he is becoming.
When Hayden woke up on Saturday morning I asked him to throw his binky away. He said OK and put it in the Ziploc bag (in case Mommy changed her mind) and put it in the garbage. Then I got the binky out of my scripture bag and asked Hayden to throw it away. He quickly pulled it close to him and said, "Hayden's binky" over and over refusing to put it in the trash. I kept telling him that he is a big boy and he doesn't need it. After a few minutes he put it in the garbage and was off playing.
We were busy running errands all day Saturday and never put Hayden down for a nap. Saturday night when I put him in bed he asked for his binky and I reminded him we threw it away and it was all gone. He started saying, "All gone." He then lay down on the floor to check to make sure it was not under his bed. He cried for over an hour before he finally fell asleep.
As soon as we sat down in the chapel on Sunday he asked for his binky. Again, I reminded him we threw it away. He didn't ask for it again. No nap again Sunday.
When I put him in bed that night he asked for it again. We went through the same conversation and he again checked under his bed. He only cried five minutes.
When Hayden woke up on Saturday morning I asked him to throw his binky away. He said OK and put it in the Ziploc bag (in case Mommy changed her mind) and put it in the garbage. Then I got the binky out of my scripture bag and asked Hayden to throw it away. He quickly pulled it close to him and said, "Hayden's binky" over and over refusing to put it in the trash. I kept telling him that he is a big boy and he doesn't need it. After a few minutes he put it in the garbage and was off playing.
We were busy running errands all day Saturday and never put Hayden down for a nap. Saturday night when I put him in bed he asked for his binky and I reminded him we threw it away and it was all gone. He started saying, "All gone." He then lay down on the floor to check to make sure it was not under his bed. He cried for over an hour before he finally fell asleep.
As soon as we sat down in the chapel on Sunday he asked for his binky. Again, I reminded him we threw it away. He didn't ask for it again. No nap again Sunday.
When I put him in bed that night he asked for it again. We went through the same conversation and he again checked under his bed. He only cried five minutes.


6 comments:
I hope it keeps getting better each time! Good luck.
Sounds exactly like us! I told you only the first day or two are bad. Sounds like things are getting easier. I hope all continues to go well. In a few days he won't even remember his binky - hopefully ;)
Way to hold strong!
Sounds like your through the thick of if. I have a feeling it's going to be a lot harder to break Jack of sucking 2 of his fingers. Rats...
Good for you, that is awesome! I haven't gotten the guts up to take Sami's away yet!
Great job! It sounds like he's getting used to the idea - good thing he wasn't using it all day before you took it away. I worry about taking Sam's blanket away and getting him to stop sucking on his finger. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!
Is it the Riverton library you go to on Mondays?
Post a Comment