Theodor Seuss Geisel was born March 2, 1904, in Springfield, Massachusettes. He grew up on Fairfield Street. When he writes a book but someone else illustrates it, he used the penn name Theo LeSieg (Geisel backward).
The First book he wrote was "And to Think I saw it on Mulberry Street." His book was rejected by 27 publishers. If that doesn't spell out "Don't ever give up" I don't know what does. Dr. Seuss wrote "Green Eggs and Ham" after he was given a challenge to write a picture book with 50 words or less.
Dr. Seuss wrote 44 books. His last book was "Oh, the Places You'll G0" published in 1990. Following his death, "Hoorray for Diffendoofer Day!" was published using pictures, characters, and text he had been working on, with the help of Jack Prelutsky and Jane Smith.
Dr. Seuss died September 24, 1991. Children's literature owes a lot to Theodor Seuss Geisel.
Every time there is a holiday or occasion such as Dr. Seuss' birthday I get a little sad to not be teaching. I always enjoyed these days with the children.
Take a few minutes to check out http://www.seussville.com/
Sunday, March 2, 2008
Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss
Posted by Young Family at 9:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
I miss teaching with you!!! Our school has decided to celebrate Dr. Seuss day on Friday...go figure? But I can't wait to make cute hats and do lots of fun Dr. Seuss stuff.
Post a Comment