CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Gratitude

And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments.
Doctrine and Covenants 59:2


Quoting from my favorite movie, Meet Me in St. Louis,

Esther: "I hate, loathe, despise, and abominate money."
Mr. Smith "You also spend it."

Joe and I are trying really hard to live within our means. Last month we went to using only cash. We had X dollars for the entire month. By March 9th we were already out of money. Keep in mind. There was no eating out, no shopping other than groceries, no clothing, etc. I was not sure what I was going to do for the rest of the month. How was I supposed to put gas in the car? What was I supposed to feed my family?

One day I got a refund check from Rustoleum. Another day I got a reimbursement check from my school. Then we got an escrow refund. Joe had refereed a basketball game and I worked for my dad so we had that little bit of extra income. After all this extra income came in I was feeling very blessed. On the last day of the month we still had a tiny bit of money. This really is nothing short of a miracle.

The story gets even better. The last week of March I mentioned to Joe I really wanted some Cadbury Mini Eggs. He told me to go buy some and I said that I couldn't because we didn't have the money for it. The very next day we were in bed asleep. The doorbell rang at 11:00 p.m..
I jumped out of bed, I was very startled. Then I was nervous to open the door. I made sure Joe was nearby in case there was a problem . I opened the door and saw a small gift bag on the porch. The first thing that popped into my head was, "Who in their right mind doorbell ditches at 11:00 p.m.?" I looked in the packages and saw the Cadbury Mini Eggs. Some may say it was a coincidence but I know it was Heavenly Father letting me know the He knows me and loves me. I looked in the bag to see if there was a note telling me who it was from. There was not a note but a $100 gift card to Smith's. I was shocked!

I have absolutely no idea who was so generous. I wish I could thank them personally. But, since I cannot I continue thanking my Heavenly Father for directing my life and placing wonderful people around me.

5 comments:

Candi said...

What a wonderful testimony builder.

Erin said...

What a wonderful thing! Cash budgets are so hard. I struggle with those. You guys are being so smart though. Great job sticking to your guns and living within your means. You are a lot better off than so many people!

Darrell and Alissa said...

I love stories like that! We had a similar expirience when we moved here. We had two house payments for 8 months- money was so tight! We wanted to go to the temple- 3 and a half hours away, but it would require a hotel stay over night and all the other expenses like food and gas. The trip was going to cost about $200. It was so hard to decide what to do- someone ended up leaving $200 dollars on our doorstep during FHE after we decided to go ahead and go. Prayers are answered in so many different ways- and it's great to hear someone listened to a prompting!

Mike and Erika said...

What a cool stories! THanks for sharing.

bryceandjamie said...

What a wonderful and inspiring post. Thank you for sharing!